In case you were considering biting into your cell phone battery, one man recently demonstrated why you should definitely not do that.
The incident took place at a counter in an electronics mall in an unknown Chinese city. The man was reportedly looking to replace his iPhone battery and made the questionable decision to test out the authenticity of one of the batteries by biting into it.
Surveillance footage from the shop shows the man putting the battery up to his lips, taking a quick bite, and removing the device from his mouth, just before it explodes into a ball of fire, frightening him, workers, and fellow customers.
China’s Phoenix News reports that, fortunately, no one was hurt by the explosion, but few other details can be found about the incident.
While Chinese electronics shops have been known to carry a fake product or two, the man’s method of authentication leaves much to be desired. It’s impossible to know if the battery exploded because it was a cheaply-made knockoff or because he managed to chomp through its casing.